Saturday, March 31, 2012

Disneyland: best places to nurse your baby

Before I let you in on my top 5 favorite places to nurse at Disneyland, I need to state that because of Disneyland I was able to conquer my fear of N.I.P-- Nursing in Public. Let me Explain.

We took Goofy to Disneyland when he was 12 weeks old. Call us crazy but I think this was our way of celebrating the fact that we survived the fourth trimester. Up to that point anytime we went out we would time it so that it minimized the amount of public feedings I would have to do. This meant a) really short outings (have you seen how often a newborn eats???) or b) feeding in the car, fitting room or eeep even a public bathroom!

Well, all that changed when we were at the land of the mouse. You see, I was not about to spend our trip hiding somewhere trying to feed the baby. So, armed with my nursing cover, I decided to feed him whenever he was hungry, without going to great lengths to find a bathroom or some other dark corner. My fears and anxieties were further lifted when I observed a European mama (I could tell by her accent)  in line at Buzz light year  pick up her hungry baby and proceed to nurse, without a cover or blanket, or anything. I was astonished! I know, it is probably a European thing, but it just made me laugh at myself. At that point I decided my fears were silly and I vowed never to feed my baby in a bathroom ever again. I figured, as long as I was covered up, and my hubs didn't mind, then I would feed my baby wherever he wanted to eat.

So yes, back to the point of this post. I have nursed my oldest son when he was a baby and my 2 current babies, Chip and Dale, all over Disneyland. My Top 5 favorite places to nurse in Disneyland:



1. Baby Centers-
       Raining? Hot? Cold? The baby centers are THE place to nurse your baby. They have one by Main Street in Disneyland and another in California Adventure where the old tortilla factory used to be. Baby centers are a goldmine for parents. Changing tables, high chairs, microwave, sink, formula, diapers, wipes, anything you might need for your baby they've got. The best part is they have private areas just for nursing (or bottle feeding) baby. It is a quiet, soothing, and comfortable area where you can feed baby and take a much needed rest from a hectic day at Disney. We usually end up here at least once a day.

2. Animation building at California Adventure Park
      The animation building is one of our favorite spots at DCA. They have a waiting room type area that leads to all the different galleries and exhibits in the building. The waiting room is darkened (a plus for nursing!) and has some benches to sit on (another necessity). A bonus for the toddler  is the huge screens that play Disney music and a lot of room to run around in. Often times our first stop when we come to California Adventure is to the animation building to take a rest, change diapers, and feed the babies so that they are comfortable as we continue along our day.

3. A corner of any eatery while eating lunch
    I know this is not a specific spot, but what I've found as a nursing mom is that often times when you are hungry, baby is too. So, why not feed baby while you are eating?  Just find as inconspicuous a spot as you can (if you care) and armed with a nursing cover and a drink, you are ready to go.

4.Innoventions in Tommorrowland. Innoventions is one of those places that can easily be skipped because it is not a ride but a gallery or museum of sorts. Its one of those attractions that we use to take a rest (like the animation building) especially because it is indoors and air conditioned. There are benches inside the building so you can easily take a seat and feed baby. Meanwhile your other children can explore the galleries and such.

5. Its a small world ride- A place to sit, dark, your own private boat....perfect place to feed the baby. As long as the song does not annoy you or babe, this place is a winner for feeding baby. The ride is long enough for a nursing session (or 2, if you have twins who eat fast like mine!)

So yes, there you have it. My favorite places to nurse at Disneyland (and California Adventure). What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment