Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Twins series: getting out of the house

The biggest change between last year having 9 month old roly poly babies and a 3 year old and this year is: walking! Or running.

Now to get out of the house and get out of the door is simple as opening the door. Almost.

Before leaving we would assume the backpack is ready with diapers, the cooler is filled with milk or water and cups, and goofy's little backpack of entertaining toys is ready. Oh and anything else we might need like reusable bags, etc.

Usually I call out to the boys something like "socks and shoes let's Go!". And on a good day I will hear the pitter patter of running across the hardwood floor making their way to the bottom step where they will sit waiting for shoes. Usually Goofy puts on his own shoes ( unless time is a factor at which point mama takes over). And ideally chip and dale will stick our their feet and wait for socks and shoes to be put on. Sometimes though putting socks and shoes require feet chasing after giggly running boys.

So once shoes are on we grab our jackets by "the box" by the door. The kids know jackets are in here and belong here and not anywhere else. When we get home I usually remind them about the box and they'll put their jackets in there. Once I open the door get ready to run because that's what the kids do. It's like letting lose a bunch of wild animals. They run and chase each other to the car. Every. Single. Time. Eventually I catch up with my kids and buckle them in the car one by one. The last child I usually find running around the car since his brothers are no longer there.

Anyway so that's what it's like now. A big change from when they were very little that's for sure. I know I'll miss their chaotic running and laughing when they are like 16 and 18 and getting out of the house requires arguing over who gets to practice driving with me. Oh fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment